KLSD ArtsALIVE Board of Directors Meeting
January 8, 2019
Call to Order:
KLSD ArtsALIVE Co-President Julie Oyen called the regular meeting of the KLSD ArtsALIVE Board to order at 7:05 p.m. at the John Jay Middle School conference room.
The following Board Members / Committee Reps were present:
- Julie Oyen
- Colleen Cerami
- Liz Gebbia
- Amanda Godsoe
- Topaz LeTourneau
- Barbara Milone
- Andrew Meikle
- Angelina Cerami, Student Rep
The following Board Members / Committee Reps were not present:
- Gia Miller
- Jen Dembo
- Mary Ann Davis
- Sarah McMahon
- Lauren Doyle
- Margaret Adasko
- Lori McQuade
- Kathleen Fay Wisehart
- Gia Miller
- Margaret Adasko
- Vinnie Bell
- Monica Bermiss
- Maureen Birmingham
- Deb Spieler
- Marcia Daley-Savo
- Diane Richman
Barbra Milone motioned to accept the minutes from the December 10th Board Meeting. Andrew Meikle seconded the motion. Approved.
Colleen reported Encore Cabaret ticket sales surpassed last year’s event. Both Dr. Siciliano and Dr. Selesnick attended the event, as well as the Katonah-Lewisboro Times, who photographed the students. Julie thanked Colleen for her leadership in organizing the event so well, especially with such short lead time.
Other items to note:
- There is an opportunity for improved communication between JJHS administration and the custodians regarding logistics around equipment for the art slide show
- Great feedback on the Encore poster; Facebook was a big success; thank you to Andrew for his design and work in this area
- Parents are sending in videos of their kids performing, which can be leveraged to create more awareness for future events; we have signed permission forms regarding media use for all the student participants
- A parent offered to help with AV for all AA events; have a link to the video
- From a student perspective, this event seemed more organized this year than in the past
- Suggestion for next year: have pictures printed and given to the cast the night before the event
- Siciliano asked Andre to come back for a Spring 2019 Encore – maybe a concert in the park with instruments, too
- Students did not have to purchase tickets to attend the event; this helped to promote Encore through the PTOs and ConnectEd
- Andre noted he could come back next January based on is current availability.
- Regarding timing for Encore, it seems better to have the event take place after the holiday break rather than before Christmas
- We should expand outreach into the community to increase awareness and involvement; this year’s success will help build momentum for next year
Student Board Update
Angelina reported the Student Board is having a meeting next Tuesday, 1/15, at 3:00 pm; Julie suggested to have a student board member at the upcoming Orchestra concert to meet and greet during Meet the Artists; KLSDAA will provide refreshments and Julie will attend.
Art Week Update
Vinnie Bell requested, via email to Colleen, that the following be read into the minutes on his behalf, “Regarding the Art Week event, all concerts have been moved to Thursday.”
Julie noted the KLSD website has a lot of information about the JJMS Art Week, which is 1/21.
Performing Arts Calendar Update
- JJMS – Anything Goes was recently cast; JJHS just announced auditions for Guys & Dolls, which opens 4/4/19
- Julie suggested to have KLSDAA student board members interview cast members, directors and crew from each show and put in AA newsletter; it would be an interview from the kids’ perspective
- Colleen reported on an email exchange with Carley Spath-Walsh about all dates for the Meet and Greets at the elementary schools; schools will include information in their newsletter; Julie also submitted a write-up about Meet the Artist
Increase Miller Update
Topaz commented it is very easy to raise money at the elementary level based on her recent experience; a general letter is needed authorizing the purchase of the equipment from the IMES fundraiser; there will also be monies left over for next year after the equipment purchase.
The Board discussed the possibility of doing a raffle / fundraiser at Guys & Dolls. Brewster HS was noted as doing an amazing job promoting the performing arts, both before and during its shows.
Call for Volunteers
Julie explained we will need to draft a slate of officers for 2019-2020 by this May. She added we also need a concession chairperson for JJHS. Some of the responsibilities for this role include replenishing the snacks and keeping items like baskets, table banners and decorations at the chair’s home. Ideally, it would be best to start the new chairperson soon in order to shadow current Chairperson Kathleen Fay at upcoming events; this would facilitate a smooth transition.
Other roles that need to be filled:
- Co-President (Julie’s term is up)
- Graphic Artist and Webmaster
- Hospitality Coordinator (this involves more than selling concessions)
- PR Chair
Julie asked that all members make recruiting new volunteers/board members a priority over the next few months.
- Curriculum Night at JJHS is 1/23. The group discussed if we should we have an ArtsALIVE presence at the event. Tables for arts courses will be located in the hallway outside the library, so would be helpful if AA could be there. Angelina will ask Mr. Morse if there’s an opportunity for Vocal Jazz to perform.
- The Berklee Jazz Festival will take place on Saturday, January 26th, in Boston; Julie noted it’s worth the trip to attend to see some amazing performances and support the JJHS students. Andrew mentioned can we post something on our website to send notes to the Vocal Jazz kids on a memento wall.
- Julie explained our Constant Contact account needs to be cleaned up. Amanda offered to handle the clean-up.
Julie reported the Spanish Club and Spanish 3 Honors Class has requested funding towards a trip to see Repertorio Espanol NYC / El Quijote on March 13, 2019. A discussion ensued about what other funding might be available to help defray costs. Liz motioned to fund $200 of the $950 request, which was seconded by Amanda. The grant request was approved by remaining board members in the amount of $200.
There being no other business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 8:50 P.M.
Minutes submitted by: Liz Gebbia