KLSD ArtsALIVE Board of Directors Meeting
October 2, 2019
Call to Order:
KLSD ArtsALIVE President Colleen Cerami-Segal called the regular meeting of the KLSD ArtsALIVE Board to order at 7:05 p.m. at the John Jay Middle School conference room. Colleen introduced Kirby Halaifonua, Jenny Nelson and Rachel Izes as new board members and reviewed their roles.
The following Board Members / Committee Reps were present:
- Maureen Birmingham
- Colleen Cerami-Segal
- Vinnie Bell
- Monica Bermiss
- Amanda Godsoe
- Liz Gebbia
- Jenny Nelson
- Kirby Halaifonua
- Topaz LeTourneau
- Angelina Cerami
- Rachel Izes
- Jo-Ellen Holbrook
- Mary Beth Johnston
- Beverly Summa
The following Board Members / Committee Reps were not present:
- Dr. Steven Siciliano
- Jen Dembo
- Andrew Meikle
- Barbara Milone
- Amanda Dickerson
- Alison Ganis
Approval of September Meeting Minutes:
The minutes from the September 2019 KLSD ArtsALIVE Board Meeting were approved with a motion from Maureen Birmingham and seconded by Topaz LeTourneau with no opposition from voting members.
Financial and Membership Report:
Maureen reported it has been a good membership drive to date, with a total of $534 in contributions. Overall, KLSDAA has slightly over $9,600 in the bank, however certain funds are already earmarked for planned arts-related projects throughout the district.
Maureen explained there will be detailed accounting for membership and restricted gifts to allow donors to designate where they want their gift directed. There is also a section on the membership form asking if donors are interested in volunteering for KLSDAA.
Giving Tuesday – December 3, 2019:
Jo-Ellen provided a report on Giving Tuesday and noted that KLSDAA has completed the registration process, but we are waiting for final approval, which may not be confirmed until November.
Andrew created a graphic specifically for this program, which will go on the KLSDAA homepage. Colleen will create the support page graphic. Giving Tuesday will be publicized in the November and December newsletters, as well as be distributed via Constant Contact and facebook,
Only online donations are accepted through Giving Tuesday and Jo-Ellen is finalizing a short thank you message. There is no fee associated with the program; 100% of donations go directly to the selected charities.
Music on the Lawn:
Kirby provided an update on Music on the Lawn, which will take place from 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. on Homecoming Saturday. Vinnie is coordinating the bands and musical acts. Monica will coordinate with Vinnie for student performers from JJMS; they are starting to get names of students who can sing the National Anthem. All three acapella groups will participate and Monica mentioned she knows four JJMS students who expressed interest in performing, as well. District will set up the sound system, tables, etc. Monica explained students can plug in their phones to perform karaoke. For the first time, the JJHS Jazz Band will perform at Homecoming as part of the halftime show.
KLSDAA will offer face painting, cupcake decorating and host a bake sale as ways to raise funds that afternoon. A sign-up genius will be sent out so board members can select times to volunteer; help will be needed for all shifts.
Andrew has created a promotional flyer and sent it to the JJHS Sports Boosters so they can incorporate it into their flyer; it is currently on our FB page. There will be additional promotion through all PTO/PTAs and via District, as well as all social media blasts; The Katonah Lewisboro Times will also be involved concerning publicity.
Colleen reviewed the procedure for handling the cash boxes. She also explained that students who volunteer for our face painting table, cupcake table, etc., can log volunteer hours for NHS and/or Tri-M.
Student Board Update:
Amanda Urban had to step down as Student Board moderator and Vinnie has taken the role as moderator. Forty-one students signed up to get involved with KLSDAA during the JJHS Club Fair
- Colleen reviewed the upcoming events over the next few months – JJMS Fall Drama, JJHS Fall Art Show, JJHS Fall Drama and Freshman Play; Encore Cabaret will be in early 2020
- JJMS Drama – the Board agreed to sell flowers; Carriage Barn has the KLSDAA credit card on file to be used when purchasing the flowers
- JJHS Art Show – Amanda will ask Diane if she needs anything; the reception will take place on the night of JJHS fall drama; the group discussed the best way to invite parents and to encourage attendance
- Orchestra Concerts – KLSDAA will give flowers to the music teacher(s)
- Encore – KLSDAA’s annual event will take place on 1/12/20. This will be the first time the performance will be held on a weekend. The show is a great opportunity for both current JJHS students and alumni, especially since Andre, the musical director, is an alum. Past performances featured student bands, music tech and art/film. Colleen noted that all board members are needed to help with this event.
- Middle School and HS Arts Week – Monica noted these programs will not take place during the same week; she will follow up with exact dates shortly.
Beverly reported KLSDAA will use Smug Mug for storing photos as this is a much better site to archive pictures. All archives, district PR, yearbook, etc., will be included. Smug Mug does not hold video, however.
There being no other business to discuss, Colleen adjourned the meeting at 7:45 p.m.