KLSD ArtsALIVE Board of Directors Meeting
November 4, 2019
Call to Order:
KLSD ArtsALIVE President Colleen Cerami-Segal called the regular meeting of the KLSD ArtsALIVE Board to order at 7:05 p.m. at the John Jay Middle School conference room.
The following Board Members / Committee Reps were present:
- Andrew Meikle
- Colleen Cerami-Segal
- Vinnie Bell
- Monica Bermiss
- Amanda Godsoe
- Liz Gebbia
- Jenny Nelson
- Topaz LeTourneau
- Rachel Izes
- Jo-Ellen Holbrook
- Mary Beth Johnston
- Barbara Milone
- Beverly Summa
- Alison Ganis
The following Board Members / Committee Reps were not present:
- Maureen Birmingham
- Kirby Halaifonua
- Dr. Steven Siciliano
- Jen Dembo
- Angelina Cerami
- Amanda Dickerson
Approval of October Meeting Minutes:
The minutes from the October 2019 KLSD ArtsALIVE Board Meeting were approved with a motion from Liz Gebbia and seconded by Topaz LeTourneau with no opposition from voting members.
Colleen shared with the group there would not be a full financial report this evening, but Maureen will provide an update at an upcoming meeting. Colleen added that she will take over the management of the cash boxes in the interim and provide a quick training to any volunteers who will be handling concessions at upcoming performances.
Music on the Lawn
On behalf of Kirby, Colleen provided a recap of Music on the Lawn. She reported that all the student participants did a wonderful job, both as performers and as volunteers. She noted that the JJMS students were very involved and thanked Monica for her support with encouraging the middle school students. Colleen already sent a thank you to all the performers and volunteers and there will be a summary in the newsletter.
Approximately $150 was raised from cupcake decorating and face painting. Unfortunately, the photographer was delayed, so there were not a lot of photos taken at the event. The photos that were taken will go in the KLSDAA newsletter and uploaded to smug mug.
Vinnie commented that the event’s highlight was having the JJMS students get involved. He also shared that representatives from Gossett Nurseries saw the students perform and invited them to an event at the nursery the following week.
Giving Tuesday / Fundraising Opportunities
Jo-Ellen reported that the registration process is complete, although the account is not active yet. Giving Tuesday will take place on Tuesday, December 3rd.
Colleen shared some ideas for non-event fundraising opportunities. She noted that she and Amanda met with Jo Zeigler from the PTO to discuss options. Currently, KLSDAA is partnering with the JJHS PTO on a promotion with La Familia in Orchard Square; Sun-Thursday, until Dec 3rd, La Familia will donate 10% of all checks to KLSDAA and the PTO if customers show the promotional flyer.
Colleen reviewed other options:
- Liz will approach Greenway to request a portion of a customer’s total be donated to KLSDAA. This would be completed at the register.
- Horse and Hound dine-in experience
- Spin Cycling in Ridgefield – spin for a cause
- Shop for a Cause at local merchants
- JJMS Fall Drama: Mary Beth will chair and sell the flowers
- JJHS Fall Drama: KLSDAA will handle concessions and flower sales. Alison will send a Sign-up Genius for volunteers. The group discussed it may not be worth selling pizza since there are only three performances instead of four and it’s a smaller cast
- JJHS Art Show – This will coincide with the opening night of the Fall Drama
- Freshman play – The show has been cast and rehearsals have started. Last year, KLSDAA Student Board ran the concessions. Vinnie asked if the Student Board would run concessions again this year. If they are not interested, Tri-M has expressed interest. Colleen replied that the Student Board would be in touch to confirm their involvement.
JJHS Week of the Arts – 12/16 – 12/20
Vinnie provided an overview of events scheduled for Week of the Arts; the following is based on last year’s. Vinnie is currently working on this year’s:
- 12/16 – Orchestra and band concerts
- 12/17 – Meet the Artists: English classes will go to art classes to meet art students and learn about their work
- 12/18 – Music Tech and JJ Chorale concerts
- 12/19 – 8th grade elective options program: 8th graders will come to JJHS to get an overview of arts opportunities at the high school
- 12/20 – PTO Winter Wonderland and “Open Mic” Day of performances (a Capella; student bands; dance team, etc.) in the cafeteria
Colleen reported the acting class is preparing a play for the 8th graders. Monica will be in touch with the date for the JJMS Week of the Arts.
Encore Update, 1/11/20
Colleen gave an overview of the show and Andre’s role as the musical director. Andrew created a Save the Date, which was sent out; Colleen received four emails already from interested participants.
KLSDAA handles the production end of the event – PR, ticket sales graphics, cast dinner, selling raffle tickets, cast party, concessions; Andrew works on the program, which need to be finished before the holidays.
The Student Board will post a sign up on the theatre call board and KLSDAA will send out audition packets. Interested performers will send in video submissions for their auditions.
The event is open to all high school students and Andre will match the performers for certain songs. Last year, Diane Nerwen provided a film of student visual arts projects and the music tech students provided the music. The stage crew also got involved last year and Bill Friedman helped the students with the acting aspect of their songs. Colleen and Amanda will reach out to the respective teachers and parties to see if they can be included in this year’s. This year, the Kletner brothers and Daniel Zitomer will perform with Andre.
Alison will manage concessions; Andrew will create the logo and post it on the KLSDAA website; Maureen will create the ticket links; KLSDAA will provide a cast dinner the day of the show for the performers.
Following a request from Colleen, the following individuals volunteered for several sub-committees:
- Barbara and Marybeth – Decorating Committee
- Topaz and Amanda Dickerson- Raffles
- Alison – Concessions
- Liz – Contact Henry King for lighting; Liz will do flowers – bouquets and selling flowers for that night
- PR –Jenny; we will contact KL Times to cover
There will not be a separate emcee for Encore; Andre handles all introductions and Topaz will come to rehearsals to take photos. Andre gives tracks to the students so they can practice on their own; he runs the performance like a professional cabaret.
Monica announced the JJMS Arts Club is up and running and it has an advisor.
There being no other business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 8:06 p.m.